Open VOB File
File extension VOB most commonly refers to a DVD Video Object file, and is one of the most widespread formats used to store video and audio streams on DVD discs. The VOB format also may denote a Vue d'Esprit object, which is a 3D model created for use within the application.
DVD VOB files are a container, which consist of video, audio and subtitle streams. The video stream is in MPEG-2 format, whilst the audio can be in AC3, MPEG-2 multichannel, MPEG-1 Layer 2 dual channel or PCM format. The vast majority of VOB files contain an AC3 audio stream as it offers a good compromise between quality and bitrate. PCM (Pulse-Code Modulation) streams are used on occasions where high-quality audio is the primary objective, such as on music DVDs, though given their uncompressed nature and inevitably large file sizes, are not often used for film soundtracks.
VOB files often contain audio tracks and subtitles in multiple languages, which are usually streamed alongside the video. Though this creates a higher bandwidth demand, it does make it possible to switch between streams during playback. It is also common to find a DVD consisting of multiple VOB files, whereby each individual file represents a single scene or chapter. This allows easy navigation through the contents of a DVD, as the playback software can simply skip to the beginning of the desired VOB file. In many cases, an File extension IFO file accompanies the VOB file which contains menu information as well as the location of each chapter, particularly in cases where the VOB file is not split.
Most DVD playing software can open VOB files, and popular applications include CyberLink PowerDVD, Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player and InterVideo WinDVD. DVD creation software such as Nero and Roxio are also able to import VOB files and burn them to disc.
Open VOB File on Windows OS
- Find a VOB file in question in Windows File Explorer and double click on it.
- If a file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the VOB file in question.
- If you know the application which can open VOB file then run it and see if there is a File->Open option in the application main menu.
- If you don't know the application which can open VOB file then try to search for "VOB wiki", "application to open VOB file" or "VOB file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open VOB file
Rate this page: 4/5 based on 5 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open VOB files, file extension vob and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...